Quantcast

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rule #1: No New Books

Have you read every book you own?

I used to be able to answer that question yes, but for the past two years I've had a stack of books I own but haven't read perched on top of my bookshelves. Last June, I went to the American Library Association meeting and brought home about sixty free books. I still have about twenty books left in my stack, all of which I still have significant interest in reading. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Nonetheless, in the last nine months I've spent an average of $50 per month on books. Clearly, this is silly.

Rule: 1. I may not spend any money on books until I have read all the books I already own.
2. I may use my paperbackswap credits (I typically get a few of these a month and use them mainly for series books).
3. I may check out books from the library (no point in depriving myself).

Potential savings: Approximately $50 per month

Estimated length: 3-5 months. I read about a book a day, but this stack includes a lot of heavier reading. Epics like Midnight's Children will take a while.

Stay tuned for weekly updates on this rule!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had this problem for a year now. I have dozens of books that I want to read sitting on my bookshelves and somehow I haven't gotten to them. Reading all the books I own is a sort of mini-goal for myself this year :)

Scarlett said...

@shanti: I counted them up the other night and I actually have 38! This is going to take longer than I thought.