I would like to be less focused on consumption. My days seem to revolve around undoing my past consumption (decluttering); consuming food and preparing to consume food (cooking, shopping); and consuming information/fiction (books, blogs, movies, etc.). Especially the last one.
What other "modes" of being are there? Creation, of course. That's the one I'm most interested in increasing. I call myself a writer, and have managed to do some fairly serious writing, but spend a shockingly small amount of time on it as compared to other things.
Reflection is another mode--doing nothing, or writing, or meditating. And then there's just plain action--exercise, physical labor. Maybe maintenance (cleaning, mending, fixing) is a mode of being, too, though to me that seems fairly closely related to consumption.
My financial and consumption-related activities for today:
- Mailed BSC books off to the winner of the ebay auction
- Posted the few remaining BSC books on paperbackswap
- Returned a shower curtain that we were dissatisfied with
- Picked up books that I had on hold at the library
- Went to the grocery store and spent about $6.50 on basic groceries
- Boiled a bunch of potatoes so we'll use them instead of letting them go bad
- Cooked the "Spanish Rice Mix" that we've had for at least a year
- Made the canteloupe that was about to go bad into a not-terrible smoothie (R.'s idea)
- Got rid of a binder, a small notebook, a large journal, the sixth season of Sex and the City, two magazines, and a few assorted papers