Quantcast

Thursday, March 20, 2008

$1000 March Week 3

March 20th and coming into the final stretch. The next eleven days are the hard part--seeing if I can still control my spending when I'm very close to or over the limit in all my budget categories.

I've been sick all week. I actually "went home sick" at 2:00 today, which I haven't done since about the ninth grade. I had to run to the bathroom in the middle of a conversation with one of the women I supervise. R. is even sicker. We spent the evening entertaining ourselves by comparing fevers and drinking lots of fluids.

What I've spent, 3/14 to 3/20:

Food:
$11.00 on half of a Domino's order, split with R.
$3.06 at Starbucks

Yup, I went to Starbucks. I even bought a latte, as in The Latte Factor.

I wanted to reward myself after getting my blood drawn (I have a phobia of needles). I had a gift card. Apparently, the Starbucks connected to Macy's doesn't take gift cards. Instead of heading down the street to a proper Starbucks or skipping the coffee, I paid the $3.06. A small purchase, but I do regret it, because I bought the coffee only so the girl behind the counter wouldn't judge me.

Remaining in food budget: $4.58
The cheese crisis I anticipated last week hasn't materialized. I'll spend the last five bucks on some veggies from our friendly neighborhood independent grocery store. Then we'll see if I can get creative enough with my remaining freezer and pantry food to last me through the end of the month...I can do a lot with tuna.

Miscellaneous
$30 Doctor
$10.19 Birthday present for R.'s dad.
$60.98 Tax software

Remaining in miscellaneous budget: I've gone $1.17 over this budget. I'll go a little bit further over, because I have some photos that need to be picked up.

Total budget for March: $1038.86
Total spent so far: $984.60

5 comments:

shoyu said...

Good luck. Try the 11-day, water-only diet.

Scarlett said...

@shoyu: Now all I need is a cause to hold a hunger strike for...

Of course, I still have plenty of food in my house, or I'd break the budget in a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I'm 54 and I'm getting a kick out of your goals and creativity. You're made me reconsider some of the ways I spend money. I'm not retired - I think I have 10 years to go but I love my job. Good luck to you, and keep the great blogs coming!

Anonymous said...

I admire your goal rachel and will be following your blog.
Good luck!

I plan to leave paid employment before 2012. All my debts and our mortgage will be paid off and we're moving to Portugal. You're right about frugal living its fun :)

Scarlett said...

@anonymous: Wow, thanks! Good for you for finding a job you love.

@no more spending: Thank you! Moving to Portugal sounds interesting...I'll be following your journey, too.